You probably knew about pancake, a popular dish in the world. However, in Hue food tours, you will discover a unique, extraordinary pancake which you never taste before. Hue savory pancake, or Banh Khoai, is the signature specialty originated in Hue, which you should never miss.
What is a Hue savory pancake?
Hue is said to be a food paradise, and Banh Khoai is one of the best dishes here. It consists of 3 parts, the base, the toppings, and the sauce. The base of Banh Khoai is made from rice flour mixed with eggs, which is fried in the pan. The base is super crispy, and it melts in your mouth. The toppings which include boiled bean sprouts, shrimps, pork, and eggs, was put on top of the pancake. Then the pancake is folded in half and served with a special sauce which is made from soybean, peanut, pork liver and sesame.
The best thing about Banh Khoai is its perfect combination of the textures, the crispiness of the base, the softness of the toppings, the freshness of vegetables, and the favorite of the sauce in combination have created a masterpiece of Hue food tours. There is also a vegetarian version of Banh Khoai, which you can try at lunch during our Hue city tour or Hue vegetarian food tour.
How to make Hue savory pancakes?
If you could not attend the Hue food tour. It is not really hard to make Banh Khoai by yourself. As long as you have all the ingredients and follow the instruction carefully.
- Combine rice flour, coconut cream, add turmeric for the golden color. Then and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl with 2 cups water. Keep stirring until a smooth batter is formed. Cover and set aside to rest for 1 hour.
- Heat the pancake frying pan over medium-high heat. Brush first with vegetable oil before adding ½ cup batter, swirl the pan to form a thick pancake.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until just cooked through, scatter one-half of pancake with ⅛ of the herbs, chilies, carrot, bean sprouts and 3 prawns.
- Flip pancake in half to cover filling and cook for a further 30 seconds to warm through, then remove with a spatula and place on a serving plate.
- Repeat with the remaining batter and filling ingredients.
- Serve with optional chili jam, extra herbs, chili, spring onion, and lettuce.
For more detail instruction as well as the best ingredients, join our Hue cooking class tour to create the perfect Hue savory pancake.
Where to enjoy the best Hue savory pancakes?
As a popular dishes, there are a lot of restaurants which serve Banh Khoai in Hue, however, the quality at these places is not the same. Here is the list of top 5 Hue savory pancake restaurants in Hue.
- Hanh Restaurant: 11 Pho Duc Chinh, Hue, Vietnam
- Banh Khoai Hong Mai: 65 Nguyen Bieu, Hue, Vietnam
- Thu Luong Restaurant: 29 Nguyen Du, Hue, Vietnam
- Ba Do: 7 Nguyen Binh Khiem St Hue, Hue, Vietnam
- Tai Phu Restaurant: 2 Dien Bien Phu, Hue, Vietnam
Hue Savory Crispy Crepe is a popular dish for local people from young and old people, especially teenagers because it is suitable for their pocket money. It +
Vietnamese bread is one of the traditional foods in Vietnam. You can use it for breakfast, dinner, lunch or even snack. “Bread” has another Vietnamese name is +
Night markets are a popular cheap shopping place all over Asia, and that of Vietnam’s picturesque is no exception. Hue night market is a special attraction which +